Pensions and divorce is a complex area and it is advisable to seek expert legal advice.
Please use the links for useful documents on this subject:
- Police Pensions on divorce
- Pension Sharing Transfer Values
- A Guide to the Treatment of Pensions on Divorce
- The PAG Report and Treatment of Police Pensions upon Divorce
- Home Office Circular 45/2001
Cash Equivalent Transfer Value (CETV)
Do I have a right to a CETV?
If you are in a funded Final Salary Pension Scheme you have a right to a Cash Equivalent Transfer Value. The scheme must provide this within 3 months of any request. You do not have a legal right to a CETV in the 12-month period before retirement (although some schemes will provide this.) You are entitled to one free CETV in any 12-month period.
There is no legal right for a retired member to receive a CETV and active members who require more than one in a 12 month period also have to pay for the second valuation.